scrap(p)ing the barrel (nut)February 8, 2016 at 12:49 pm | Posted in art, blog info, no audience underground, not bloody music | Leave a comment
Tags: dex wright, dr. adolf steg, gary simmons, hiroshima yeah!, joe murray, joined by wire, julian bradley, mark ritchie, michael clough, microzine, paul walsh, stephen woolley, tape noise, the barrel nut, zanntone
[Editor sighs, picks at bits of glu-stik and newsprint stuck to his palms, sucks blood from site of paper cut]
…that was fun, eh?
It is with sadness that I announce that the new, long delayed, issue #14 of The Barrel Nut will be the last and, aside from a handful of paper copies for contributors, will be distributed in digital formats only. This is a drag but a triple whammy death blow has been dealt by a) time poverty b) my access to ‘free’ photocopying being curtailed by, *ahem*, circumstances and c) silly postal charges.
Regarding this final point, it is profoundly depressing to see the offline world of mail art, zine culture and other barter economies being constricted by the prohibitive cost of shifting physical objects. Plenty of fun remains to be had, of course, and I salute those still at it, but I am joining the retreat. Living with a privatised postal service sucks major donkey balls and if you reside in a country where your national service is being run down/softened up to make its flesh palatable to those vultures then I suggest you fight against it.
OK, freed from the obligations of its usual microzine format this issue is presented as a series of full page pdfs/jpegs to be downloaded and/or printed out by the reader. Featured artwork is a representative sample of remaining submissions and the names will be familiar to regular readers – I hope you are entertained. This, and all previous issues, will be available via the The Barrel Nut page (tabbed above) until the coming alien invasion unleashes its server-destroying electro-magnetic pulse. Roll call:
- The cover is by me,
- page two is more scanner/photocopier EVP phenomena filtered by Michael Clough,
- Dex Wright, a.k.a. Tape Noise, mauls ferric oxide on page three,
- weird symmetries by Zanntone’s Paul Walsh slide across page four,
- page five presents the collaged thoughts of Gary Simmons and Mark Ritchie of the print-only Hiroshima Yeah! zine (firstname.lastname@example.org),
- Stephen Woolley of Joined By Wire leaves tire tracks across page six,
- deep-fried brainwaves crackle up and down page seven, courtesy of Adolf Steg
- …and lastly we have typographical and cut-up dada from Julian Bradley and RFM’s own Joe Murray to play over the credits.
It’s a belting finale, that’s for sure. Here’s the files – individual page scans are of better quality but the ‘whole thing as one pdf file’ is handier for those busy zine readers on the go:
Individual pages as jpegs:
Individual pages as pdfs:
The whole thing as a pdf:
Many thanks to all those who have been involved – it’s been a right laugh.